Thank you so much for being here. My name is Kate, and I hope you’ve checked out the blog and found some inspiration. That’s really the main goal for the site. I love helping people shine a light on their own creativity.
A little about my background
I started my career as a copywriter working at an ad agency. From the moment I stepped foot into the industry, I felt at home. I loved the insanity of a creative department. It was like the land of misfit toys full of wonderful and wildly imaginative people.
I made great friends (even met my husband), worked really hard and eventually found myself in leadership positions guiding and motivating other creatives. I’m still in the business today. I work part-time as a creative consultant and writer, while also holding down the fort as a mom.
I’m married to an incredible guy (that’s Brandon) who makes me laugh and feel good about myself. We have three kids: Evan, Avery and Clara.
Evan lives and breathes soccer and is the best big brother a kid could have. The highlight of his life so far has been meeting his all-time hero and best goal keeper in the world, Tim Howard.
The girls are identical twins with opposite personalities. They love a mix of art, soccer, and dancing. Not the kind of dancing that requires tap shoes and tutus. I’m talking self-choreographed dances in the living room to Michael Jackson songs. My greatest joy is being called mom by these sweet kiddos.We have a pet rabbit named Rosie. She eats fresh lettuces and herbs – and only the tops of carrots. Sometimes we dress her up in Build-A-Bear clothes. She thinks they’re made just for her. Shh.
We also have a sweet pup named Leo. He’s a mini Goldendoodle who stole our hearts the moment we saw that fuzzy little face of his.
I grew up in Arkansas as the youngest of five kids. I have two brothers and two sisters. I was the tie-breaker. Girls for the win!
I have a seriously cool (and talented!) family that just keeps growing with nieces, nephews and cousins. I’m beyond blessed in this department.
I like to think I get my smile and positive disposition from my dad. My mom is equally joyful with a gift for all things creative. She’s officially a Master Gardener and unofficially a master seamstress, knitter, painter and general crafter. Needless to say, we have lots of fun together!
Ten random things…
- My nickname was “fish” growing up. I lived in the water. I was a lifeguard, swim coach and year-round competitive swimmer. One highlight was coaching a young girl in the Special Olympics. She went on to win a gold medal in backstroke. I was so tearfully proud of her. Still am.
- I know how to skateboard. It’s been awhile, like since I was 12, but I had an old-school skinny board that I rode for hours in my driveway.
- There are always fresh flowers in my house. My habit started when I worked in a flower shop in college. I wasn’t a floral designer per se. I was the one who unpacked boxes, but a perk was learning all the names of the flowers and how to care for them. It was messy, but I would totally do that job again.
- My family cheers for the Huskers. My husband and I both graduated from the University of Nebraska in Lincoln. Go Big Red!
- I know some sign language. I’m pretty solid with the alphabet, and I would love to learn more.
- I love traveling. One of my favorite trips was when Brandon and I visited France for our friend’s wedding. Love that place. The people, the food, the language, the wine…all delicious.
- My cars have names. I’ve had a Yoda, Sugar, Goldie, White Lightning and currently drive Mellow. It’s not yellow.
- Every night I DVR Jimmy Fallon. Love him. Love his show. Beyond words.
- I met Mindy Kaling one time at a conference in Austin, TX. She was super cool. We smiled like friends.
- I get a kick out of blending words. Give me any two words and I’ll find a way to blend them. What’s a book turned into a movie, you say? “Boovie” Next. And yes, my family loves eating brinner (breakfast foods for dinner) with sporks (those weird things from KFC that’s part spoon, part fork).
I hope you enjoyed getting to know me. I can’t wait to hang out more together on the blog!